MI6 and CIA at Work: State Sponsored Subversion, Insurgency, Terrorism and Torture
By Ann-Marie de Veer
Saturday 17 May 2014
Underneath an invisibility cloak of respectability, willingly provided by the United Kingdom's Department for International Development (DFID) and the United States Department for International Development (USAID), both the UK's Secret Intelligence Service (aka. MI6) and the CIA continue to engage in their illegal tradecraft of State sponsored subversion, insurgency, terrorism and torture.
What is interesting about this perverse relationship is that both the DFID and USAID agencies, on whom the CIA and MI6 largely depend for cover, continue to promote their stated ideals as if this situation did not exist:
- DFID: Promoting sustainable development and eliminating world poverty.
- What We Do: The Department for International Development (DFID) leads the UK’s work to end extreme poverty. We're ending the need for aid by creating jobs, unlocking the potential of girls and women and helping to save lives when humanitarian emergencies hit.
- USAID: Extend a helping hand to those people overseas struggling to make a better life, recover from a disaster or striving to live in a free and democratic country.
- Our Mission: We partner to end extreme poverty and to promote resilient, democratic societies while advancing our security and prosperity.
The irony is of course that these relationships and the behaviour of the intelligence services have changed very little over the last sixty years as they continue their illegal operations in support of neo-imperial economic power. We have only to look at the events soon after the Second World War, which are a matter of public record and quite telling.
In those days the guise of the aid agencies were different but the modus operandi of the intelligence services working under their umbrella of giving help and relief to disadvantaged populaces were just the same. The CIA overthrew its first foreign government in 1953 in the Iranian coup d'état, ably assisted by MI6. Later, in 1954, operating via secret bases out of neighbouring Laos, they provoked the North Vietnamese, which eventually led to the Vietnam War, aka. the Indochina War. In the early and mid-fifties both the CIA and MI6 were involved in Tibet where they provided and distributed secessionist propaganda, created political plots and forced the hand of the Chinese. In the early sixties MI6, with the assistance of the CIA, were busy subverting state power in Singapore as the fledgling nation first sought incorporation into Malaysia and then eventually became independent.
Thus, it is of no surprise whatsoever that the raison d'être of MI6 and the CIA, often thought to be the covert gathering of intelligence, aka. Human Intelligence (HUMINT), is to advance the power and authority of their masters at any expense. Not unexpectedly, the UK and US regimes try to hide these activities, citing the personal safety of their operatives or national security. Naturally, the MSM is generally compliant in this endeavour and even complicit at times as is the legal profession who often bury any form of embarrassing or challenging litigation in procedural difficulties. When, these tactics fail to contain the event, report-minimisation procedures, DA Notices, in camera court sessions or secret courts are used. Nonetheless, there are times when the light of discovery cannot be extinguished:
- Cuba: Cuba Detains a U.S. Contractor A United States government contract worker, who was distributing cellphones, laptops and other communications equipment in Cuba on behalf of the Obama administration, has been detained by the authorities here, American officials said Friday. (12 Dec 2009)
- Venezuela: Employee of a CIA Front Organization Working in Venezuela was Detained in Cuba This Week The first contract between USAID and DAI for its Venezuela operations authorized $10 million for a two year period. DAI opened its doors in the Wall Street of Caracas, El Rosal, in August 2002, and began to immediately fund the same groups that just months earlier had executed - unsuccessfully – the coup against President Chávez. (13 Dec 2009)
- Pakistan: The USAID-CIA consortium in which Obama was raised Currently, private military contractors working for the ex-Blackwater, now Xe Services, have been reported to be posing as USAID employees in Pakistan. Last year, the Pakistani press reported that USAID was bypassing the Pakistan ministries of Education and Information and providing direct educational assistance to Pakistani students. One USAID program in the Federally-Administered Tribal Areas (FATA) of Pakistan resulted in some $45 million disappearing down a virtual black hole. (19 Jul 2011)
- Libya: MI6's alleged role in rendition could be concealed under new 'secret justice' Bill Sami al-Saadi and Abdel Hakim Belhadj, who allege that they were taken by rendition by Britain to Libya eight years ago, are expected to begin legal proceedings against Jack Straw, the former foreign secretary, and the Government next month. (27 May 2012)
- Cuba: White House defends 'Cuban Twitter' to stir unrest An Associated Press investigation found that the network was built with secret shell companies and financed through a foreign bank. The project, which lasted more than two years and drew tens of thousands of subscribers, sought to evade Cuba's stranglehold on the Internet with a primitive social media platform. (4 Apr 2014)
Of course, these events have not gone unnoticed:
- Dr. Farrukh Saleem: USAID and CIA Over the past 51 years, the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) has grown into a powerful multi-billion dollar political-cum-military weapon in the hands of the American establishment. USAID’s charter is explicit: To serve the foreign policy interests of the United States. (13 May 2012)
- Dr. Stuart Jeanne Bramhall: USAID/CIA supporting dictators and stifling democracy - exclusive interview Clearly their main focus is not to give foreign aid to a country, it is basically to advance the US economic interests whose research has shown that USAID and the CIA promote dictators and are against Democracy which allows corporations to maintain high-profit margins and allows the US to control resources. (16 Oct 2012)
Nonetheless, they continue to evade the scrutiny of the general public, not least because of The Cognitive Dissonance of the MSM.
But there are some things that we have learned, in particular USAID have a long history in providing front company's for the CIA. Also of interest is the fact that DFID (operating as the British Council) and USIAD were expelled from Russia in December 2007 and September 2012 respectively. More recently, the CIA, via USAID, have been quietly supplying weapons and ammunition to Syrian rebels and there are now disturbing revelations emerging from Ukraine where evidence of western insurgents have been discovered.
There can be no doubt whatsoever that MI6 and the CIA, as tools of their respective regimes, both directly and indirectly under the umbrella agencies of DFID and USAID, are involved in many areas throughout the world to the detriment of the peoples they encounter.
In other words, there are certain regions of the world that we expect to be subordinate to the needs of our neo-imperial economic empire. To that end, we will support any organisation or structure, whether it be a plutocracy, an oligarchy, a despot, a totalitarian dictatorship, etc. or, if necessary, actively subvert, overthrow, terrorise or torture same if that body becomes an obstacle to the progress of our neo-imperial quest for regional corporatisation and control of its resources.
- There is nothing more dangerous than security.
- Francis Walsingham